Saturday, June 28, 2008

Missing the garden...

This is the long beans planted by my dad...
Since 2 pm in the afternoon, loud rumbles of the thunder were heard now and then... The atmosphere was threaten with a soon-to-occur thunderstorm... The wind howled outside the door...Leaves were swept up by invisible hands of the wind... No sound was heard... Not even a chirp from the birds...

After having my lunch, I stepped outside... Strangely, the wind had turned into a breeze... The smell of soil has risen... It was so fresh, so close, so familiar.... I have not been out with nature for a long time....

I could still remember the times when I had gotten myself dirty while scooping up soil and playing with it... ( Actually I was pretending that I was gardening just like dad)... Well, i did pull out some weeds, though I'm not strong enough to clear the whole plot (though it's quite small).^^!"

Sometimes, I did a bit of fun digging... Discovering earth worms, white grubs... The earth smells so refreshing...( do not smell the soil if you're staying in the city, those might have been polluted..) I love to replace the old infertile soil in flower pots with new soil rich with organic matter (It's the remains of burnt twigs + weeds + branches burnt by my dad)... Somehow small flowering plants do not grow well in the pots... their roots grew through cracks beneath the flowerpots grasping the soil under the flower pot... In the end, those flowerpots were impossible to be moved... (til last year)... Haha...

I did help dad to cultivate a few types of veggies though, such as tapioca, papaya trees, banana trees, lady's fingers, tomatoes, etc... That was five years ago... I had not being gardening for whole 5 years.... All the exams, homework, tuition left me with no time for that... I hope to do it again soon....

No comments: